Camper traffic rules

Back to news

To be safe on the road with the camper is our first priority. The traffic regulations for campers and motorhomes will help you to achieve this. But what exactly does the Road Traffic Regulations (StVO) provide for motor homes?

Are there special rules for campers and do you need a special driving license to drive a motor home? We have summarized the most important information about the road traffic regulations (StVO), the list of fines and speed limits for campers.

Verkehrsregel Wohnmobil und Camper
1. Motorhome & camper traffic rules in Germany

What do vacationers have to consider when driving? How are motor homes and campers defined in the StVO and is it obligatory to wear seat belts in the camper in Germany? We at FreewayCamper have listed all these things for you here.

a. Is there a speed limit for campers and motor homes?

The maximum speed for a camper or motor home depends on the total weight of the vehicle (up to or over 3.5 t). However, for safety reasons, the 120 km/h mark should not be exceeded in approved sections. For campers over 3.5 t the maximum speed of 100 km/h applies. All information about speed limits in town, out of town and on the freeways as well as the catalog of fines and the consequences of exceeding the speed limit with a motorhome can be read here.

b. Which driver's license do I need for a motor home or camper

A special driver's license is not necessary for a camper or motor home. Nevertheless the weight of the vehicle remains a decisive factor. Because whether a camper weighs under or over 3,5 t decides on it, which driver's license is necessary. Camper with a weight to 3.5 t are considered as normal passenger car and can be driven with each driver's license of the class B or BE. If the driving license was taken before 1999, class 3 was acquired and these persons are allowed to drive vehicles up to 7.5 t. If the EU driving license was issued after 1999, the classes C or C1 (or CE or C1E) must have been made in order to be allowed to drive a motor home up to 7.5 t. In our article with the topic campervan driving license, you get more detailed information.

No worries: At FreewayCamper all campers and motorhomes are under the 3.5 t mark and can therefore be driven by all camper lovers with a class B or BE driving license. The only exception is the RV Alcove 750, for which you need a class C driving license.

c. Do I always have to buckle up in the camper or motor home?

Also in a camper or motor home a buckle obligation applies according to the StVO. All passengers must be buckled up in the vehicle or secured by an appropriate restraint system or a child seat. A camper is not exempt from the seatbelt obligation!

d. Am I allowed to walk in the camper or motor home during the trip?

No, walking around in the camper or motor home while driving is not allowed. All passengers must be seated with their seatbelts fastened in the seats provided for the trip. It is not allowed to stay in the back of the camper or motor home during the drive.

e. Where a camper or motor home is permitted to park?

Finding a suitable parking space for your camper is not as easy as with a small car. Nevertheless, the camper or motor home may be parked anywhere where it is not expressly forbidden. So if a parking place is indicated by a traffic sign for cars only, you are not allowed to park your car there either. Even if the parking space is too small for your home on four wheels, you are not allowed to park there. Parking on the sidewalk is also only allowed if your vehicle weighs less than 2.8 tons. So please always pay attention to the total weight of your camper.

Unfortunately these rules only apply in Germany. If you are planning a trip abroad, you should familiarize yourself with the local regulations.

f. Special traffic rules for campers over 3.5 t

All vehicles with a weight over 3.5 t are already considered trucks. Therefore the speed limits of trucks on the roads and freeways must be observed for these motor homes. Motorhomes with a weight from 3.5 t to 7.5 t may drive on freeways and freeways at a maximum speed of 100 km/h. A speed limit of 80 km/h applies outside of towns. Campers weighing more than 7.5 t may not exceed a maximum speed of 60 km/h on country roads. On highways and motorways a maximum speed of 80 km/h is allowed. The weight of your camper is also important when parking. You can find the current list of fines and the road traffic regulations here.

Verkehrsregeln Camper Pössl RoadcruiserÖsterreich
2. Motorhome and camper traffic regulations in Austria

Since Austria is a very popular country for camping, we have summarized the most important rules on the road with a camper here:

Maximum speed for cars and campers up to 3.5 t

  • Urban 50 km/h
  • Out of town 100 km/h
  • highways: 100 km/h
  • Freeways: 130 km/h (at night, from 22 to 5 o'clock on transit freeways: 110 km/h)

Speed limit in Austria for motor homes over 3.5 t to 7.5 t

  • Urban 50 km/h
  • Out of town 70 km/h
  • highways: 70 km/h
  • Freeways: 80 km/h

Parking of campers and caravans

  • continuous yellow line at the roadside: no stopping and no parking
  • dotted lines: no parking, hold and loading allowed
  • Lines on the ground have no validity if they are covered with snow. (Attention during thawing weather!)
  • blue ground markings: (chargeable) short parking zone

Dimensions of the vehicles

  • Maximum width 2.55 meters
  • Maximum length 12 meters
  • All our campers are located in this area and are therefore permitted in Austria

Toll on freeways and highways

  • Vehicles up to 3.5 tons (zGg) use vignettes
  • Vehicles over 3.5 tons (zGg) will be billed via the GO-Box
  • Some sections of the route are already exempt from tolls. You can find all information here.

Safety vest in every camper

  • Carrying warning vests in Austria is mandatory
  • also a warning triangle and a first aid kit must be in the camper

Other regulations in Austria

  • Obligation to wear seat belts
  • No smoking in the vehicle
  • Tear rope/safety rope for caravans (both braked and unbraked)

Good to know

  • Currently no red/white warning sign for the bicycle carrier
  • Driving with lights on all day
  • Special traffic signs

With us you get the warning sign for the bicycle carrier to your camper in addition. Just let us know which country you are going to and if you need it. In Italy or Spain, for example, it is obligatory to have a warning sign for the bicycle rack on a camper.

As a general rule, you have to find out exactly which rules apply in which country before your vacation. If you follow these rules, nothing will stand in the way of your dream vacation with Camper.

Have a safe trip!

Your FreewayCamper Team

Back to news