Campervan Driving License: Which license do I need?

Back to news

You want to travel with a Campervan, but you are not sure which driving license you need? Don't worry, in this article we provide you with all the important information about the Campervan driving license in Germany.

Which license do I need in Germany?

Basically, there is no separate campervan driving license in Germany. Which campervan you can drive with which driving license depends on the total weight of the vehicle. Campervans with a weight of up to 3.5 tons can be driven with a class B driving license in Germany. If your vehicle exceeds this weight, you require a class C1 or C driving license. If you still have an old class 3 driving license, you can also drive motor vehicles with a total weight of up to 7.5 tons.

List of all driving license classes for campervans in Germany:

Old driving license class 3 - motor vehicles up to 7.5 tons

Class A driving license - motorcycles over 50 cc, 45 km/h and 15 kW

Class B driving license - motor vehicles not exceeding 3.5 tons and carrying no more than eight passengers

Class BE driving license - category B with a trailer over 750 kg, but not exceeding 3.5 tons

Class C1 driving license - motor vehicles with a mass exceeding 3.5 tons, but not exceeding 7.5 tons, carrying not more than eight passengers

Class C driving license - category C1 with a weight of more than 3.5 tons

Class CE driving license - category C with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg

Here you get an overview of all driving license classes in Germany.

Which driving license do I need outside of Germany?

If you want to travel abroad with a campervan, you should find out which driving license you need in the country of your choice, before you travel. In some countries, you can even drive campervans heavier than 3.5 tons with a class B driving license.

European driving license

The EU driving license was introduced in Germany in 1999. In order to facilitate traffic within the EU, the driving licenses of all member states were standardized. If you are still in possession of an old driving license (issued before January 19, 2013), you must have it transferred by January 19, 2033. The old driving license loses its validity within the EU after this period.

Within the EU you can drive with the EU driving license carefree

So if you have a European driving license, you can rejoice. With this license, you can drive through the EU and the EEA (even some non-EU countries like Switzerland and Liechtenstein).

International driving license

If you want to travel outside Europe, you should have an international driving license. You can easily get one at the road traffic office. The cost is 15€, you need a European driving license and a valid passport photo. The international driving license is only valid in combination with your EU driving license, so you need to have both versions with you.

The international driving license is valid for 3 years and you need it for driving outside the EU or EEA. In some countries an international driving license is not sufficient, sometimes you require an additional translation. Always inform yourself about the rules of the respective country.

The contract area of FreewayCamper includes the European Union, Great Britain, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Albania (international driving license recommended), Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia (without Kosovo), Montenegro. Outside these countries we do not provide insurance coverage, if you want to travel to other areas than the ones just described, contact us in advance.

Do you have a driving license from outside the EU or EEA?

If you have a driving license from outside the EU or EEA, you are probably allowed to drive in the EU. However, if you are under the minimum legal driving age in that country, you will not be allowed to drive.

Note: If you have a driving license from outside the EU or EEA, you must have it translated. There are a few exceptions to this rule. The license must be translated by a German or internationally recognized automobile club.

Which FreewayCamper campervans can I drive with a class B driving license?

At FreewayCamper we make it easy for you! Almost all of our campers, from our vans and campervans to our fully and semi-integrated RV’s, you can drive with a class B license.

Van, Campervan or RV, we have vehicles for every taste

The only exception is the RV Alkoven 750, for which you need a class C driving license. If you are a young driver (under 23 years old), we also require that you have held a class B driving license for at least one year. If you have any further questions, feel free to check our FAQ or contact us directly.

What are the sanctions if I drive a campervan without the proper license?

If you drive a campervan without the appropriate driving license, this is considered a criminal offense. In Germany you can expect a fine or imprisonment of up to one year and 3 points in Flensburg. In case of negligence, you can expect a fine of 180 daily rates or a prison sentence of 6 months. So you should be on the safe side and find out exactly which driving license you need for your campervan in the vacation destination of your choice.

If you are staying in a country for more than a few months, you should check with the local authorities how long you are allowed to drive with your license. Generally, the maximum travel time is 3 to 6 months.

The 4 most important tips for driving a campervan:

To prepare you well for your trip, we give you 4 important tips for driving a campervan. With these tips you can protect yourself from fines and enjoy your vacation.

Take your time and be relaxed

Driving a large vehicle may seem daunting at first, but the longer you drive a campervan, the easier it will become to handle. Parallel parking quickly becomes a breeze!

Adjust the mirrors

Many of our larger campervans do not have rearview mirrors. Because of this lack of rearview mirrors, adjusting the side mirrors is even more important.

Know the speed limit

Different speed limits apply to campervans over 3.5 tons. Inform yourself so that there are no unpleasant surprises at the end of your vacation. You can find more information about traffic rules for campervans in our blog.

Don't overload

If your campervan is overloaded, it can quickly become dangerous and also expensive. In this case, you have to expect heavy fines. So to prevent this, you should not take unnecessary and heavy luggage. Take a look at our packing list to be well prepared.

Carefree travel with our insurance packages

With us, you are fully insured throughout Europe with a deductible of 1500€. The Europe-wide protection letter is also included. If you want to start your adventure completely carefree, check out our additional insurance packages!

We hope you now have a better understanding of which campervans you are allowed to drive with your driving license. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our customer service. If you have a class B driving license, you can start your journey with our campervans. So, what are you waiting for? Choose the right campervan for you and explore new areas!

We wish you happy camping,

Your FreewayCamper Team

Back to news